PRN Event Medic (EMT & Paramedic)
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Event Medic administers first aid treatment to and transports sick and/or injured persons to medical facility,
working as a member of emergency medical team. This job description applies to all 911, Event, and Bike Team
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following duties are not inclusive of all responsibilities and the incumbent may perform other duties as
- Performs basic and advanced life support treatment and transport of ill or injured patients.
- Participates in the delivery of emergency and routine patient care.
- Responds to instructions from emergency medical dispatcher and drives specially equipped emergency vehicle to specified location.
- Operates the emergency vehicle according to HCEC’s safe driving standards
- Monitors communication equipment to maintain contact with dispatcher.
- Works under the direction of the In-Charge in regards to patient care.
- Promotes positive customer relations in dealing with patients, visitors, and other employees.
- Adheres to HCEC policies, procedures, and medical guidelines.
- Maintains station in an orderly and clean fashion.
- Performs work related to public relations as needed, such as school demonstrations.
- Removes or assists in removal of victims from scene of accident or catastrophe.
- Communicates with professional medical personnel at emergency treatment facility to obtain instructions regarding further treatment and to arrange for reception of victims at treatment facility.
- Prepares run reports for the crew.
- Assists in maintaining the patient compartments of the vehicles to assure that the vehicle is street ready.
- Assists in removal of victims from vehicle and transfer of victims to treatment center.
- Assists treatment center admitting personnel to obtain and record information related to victims’ vital statistics and circumstances of emergency.
- Maintains vehicles and medical and communication equipment and replenishes first aid equipment and supplies.
- Maintains a safe working environment for personnel, as well as working to maintain a safe fleet of ambulances.
- Reports vehicle and equipment malfunctions to the appropriate personnel.
- Assists in controlling crowds, protecting valuables, or performing other duties at scene of catastrophe.
- Assists professional medical personnel in emergency treatment administered at medical facility.
- Assists in other duties as needed and directed.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTSHigh school diploma or general education degree (GED).
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTSSix (6) months related experience and/or training, preferably in a high-volume EMS system.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIREMENTSSix (6) months related experience and/or training, preferably in a high-volume EMS system.
- Texas Department of State Health Services EMT certification
- Current Texas Driver’s Licenses
- Remain insurable by the current insurance vendor of HCEC
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
The successful incumbent should have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs):
- Knowledge of emergency medical treatment and advanced life support methods, procedures, and equipment and the current standard of care for EMS in the Houston, Texas area.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general medical periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to react and perform well in highly stressful, life-threatening situations.
- Knowledge of safety, environmental, and infection control standards.
- Knowledge of compliance and work rules.
- Knowledge of established policies, procedures, and quality improvement objectives.
- Knowledge of mission and vision statements for HCEC.
- Skill in recognizing life threatening situations and ensuring scene safety.
- Skill in operating an emergency vehicle. Skill in reviewing work for accuracy and completeness.
- Knowledge of computers and basic office software (i.e. Microsoft Office).
- Knowledge of ePCR software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Employee will be required to drive fleet vehicle long and short distances.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, outside weather conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock; risk of radiation; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Harris County Emergency Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, HCEC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees and prospective employees with disabilities. The statements in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.Apply Now